Acidity or acid reflux is a familiar digestive complaint that most of us choose to ignore unless it causes a lot of pain or discomfort. Some of its most common symptoms are heartburn or a burning pain and regurgitation or bitter-tasting acid in your throat or mouth, bloating, hiccups, weight loss without reason and nausea.
Acidity can happen when the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES), a valve located at the entrance to your stomach, doesn’t close all the way through or opens too often, causing acid produced by the stomach to move up into the oesophagus. Stress, eating an unhealthy diet, and drinking excess alcohol can also cause acidity.
Here are some home remedies to treat the condition:
* Eating papayas can keep you safe from acidity as it contains the papain enzyme, which helps in improving digestion. Its fibre content also clears the stomach of toxins.
* Bananas are also good for your stomach. They have inflammatory properties and can reduce bloating in the intestines. Its fibre content ensures that movement in the intestines is smooth.
* Plants and herbs are also useful in reducing acidity. While Aloe Vera juice can soothe the stomach lining, mint can offer relief from reflux.
* Citrus fruits like orange and lemon are alkaline and can neutralize the acidity in the stomach.
* Coconut water is rich in fibre and great for detoxification of the body. It can also help with smooth bowel movements.
* Curd helps to cool the stomach and contains natural bacteria that keeps the digestive system healthy and reduces acid formation.
* Ginger is a medicinal spice that can reduce gas and offer relief from acidity.